Saturday, October 13, 2012

Relativity Theory

I generally feel very stiff at the times when my body is feeling high sugar. I say this with the acknowledgment that strictly by testing numbers, my sugar is always high. By functionality and my body will frequently disagree with testing results. This is a phenomenon of relative highs and lows. I do not home blood test. As I learned more about the home testing process as my GP tried pushing it on me, I was not able to get satisfying answers to what I should do if my body said my sugar was low and in need of food but the numbers ran in three- or four hundreds.
This happened in my GP’s office a number of years ago. He was doing the usual rant on higher sugar. I told him normally my sugars felt healthy to low and that in fact I was in an insulin peak that very moment and needed to eat. He had an assistant do a home test. My sugar was in the 400’s.
I asked how could be having the feelings of excess insulin. He only shrugged. I could only shrug at his questions. I was not exaggerating how I felt or making anything up. I had to eat something before I could feel comfortable driving home.
As my GP had no answers, I turned to the internet. The disparity was a general theory of relativity. For good or bad, I took the situation as reinforcement of my own theory of self management. My doctor considers it rationalizing my own recklessness. He does not understand how I have never been in a coma. He will not consider causes other than my "poor sugar control" for any malady or complaint that can overlap with diabetes.
I face my own experience. While I was an "uncontrolled" diabetic, I had no effects that could be attributed only to the diabetes. Some things, such as periodontal problems and the loss of vision in the right eye certainly resulted from diabetes being opportunistic of other problems, but no condition spontaneously began without influence from factors outside the diabetes. That has not remained true in the time since I have been "taking care of myself better."
Here’s my train of thoughts on this.
My baseline number may be at 450, a blood sugar number that should have other people in a coma but at which I was healthy and strong. A "good" diabetic has a baseline of 120 but home testing numbers. We take our insulin. The insulin peaks and lowers our respective blood sugar numbers by 40 points. I drop to 410 and the goodie drops to 80. My change was under 9% while the goodie suffered a 33% drop in sugar level. We’re both feeling the effects of low blood sugar, including the sweaty panic. We overcompensate, raising our blood sugar by 70 points. My new change from 410 to 480 is 17% while the goodie caused a whopping 87% change from his low of 80.
The percent of change is far more drastic to the good diabetic than to the surly bastard that is me. By these numerical statistics, the healthy diabetics are comparatively fragile diabetics.
I am not advocating that diabetics intentionally raise their numbers to levels that could kill them. My "lack of control" developed over years. At the point of "taking care of myself better" circa 2005, I had stable but definite signs of old diabetic damage and some of these became opportunistic in the face of other problems that developed independently. I had a stable situation that resulted in good health, at the very least as defined by how I felt.
Those years of being a "better" diabetic–never a good diabetic–destabilized me. I have not felt healthy since.

1 comment:

  1. maggie.danhakl@healthline.comNovember 6, 2014 at 10:39 PM

    Hi Jeff,

    I thought you might find this interesting. Healthline has compiled a list of the Effects of Low Blood Sugar in a visual
    graphic and I thought you and your readers would be interested in seeing the information.

    You can check out the information at http://www.healthline.com/health/low-blood-sugar-effects-on-body We’ve had good feedback about the article and we think it will benefit your readers by giving them med-reviewed information in a visual way.

    If you think this information is a good fit for your audience would you share it on your site, http://blindsided-kozzi.blogspot.com/2012/10/relativity-theory.html , or social media?

    Let me know what you think and have a great week.

    All the best,
    Maggie Danhakl • Assistant Marketing Manager
    p: 415-281-3100 f: 415-281-3199

    Healthline • The Power of Intelligent Health
    660 Third Street, San Francisco, CA 94107
    www.healthline.com | @Healthline | @HealthlineCorp

    ReplyDelete