Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Post-op Pattern

The retina reattachment procedure did not go as well as either my eye doctor or I had hoped. I dealt with that disappointment OK, all things considered.
I noticed a pattern that is giving me reason to look at things more deeply, so to speak. I have noticed a definite pattern that my eyesight gets worse. When it recovers from the visit, it does .
My theory is the light sensitivity effect. Glare is worse, sensitivity to light is worse and darkness vision is worse, all worse aftert each exam.
In these visits, they are dilating my eye and strobing the eye with very bright light. This is how the doctor is able to see the retina to note changes. I think this has the same damaging effect as staring at the sun.
I don’t see the point of going to the doctor–even this very good doctor–to be told I can’t see.
The eye is unstable, and the condition is currently made worse by the resumption of eye drops for eye pressure and the report of a cornea scratch. There’s more to the latter, and those have the texture of anchovy paste and the effect of making things worse.
I still have a procedure to go. The center of my eye is filled with silicone oil, which is meant to keep pressure on the retina to keep it in place.to be drained. My realistic hope is that the oil has gotten clouded over time and that the procedure will ewatore some acuity.
Other things to hope for are just not realistic. For me, realism always trumps optimism. The doctor wants to continue waiting before changing the silicone oil. If it is potentially creating a glaucoma problem, and if my vision worsens every time I am examined, we’re crossing the threshold of the treatment being worse than the disease.

No comments:

Post a Comment