Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Feeling it Out: Wal-Mart Generic Insulin Change

With a few more weeks of (mostly) twice daily dosages under my skin, I think there are larger differences to the Novo Nordisk manufactured Novolin from the generic it replaced, Eli Lilly Company Humulin. I report these changes from feel, not from home monitoring of blood sugar numbers. I am also talking about the time release "N" variety and have not begun using the instant "R."
The Novolin seems to peak less often in the day. The humulin would spurt in several times over twelve hours and then it was just gone, fully absorbed and needing replenishment. The Novolin peaks are stronger than the humulin peaks. This makes sense with the lesser frequency of peaks.
The first surge is strongest and is not always easily leveled.
The Novolin lasts longer than the 12 hours I was used to with the humulin. That strength of the first peak after the injection may be that the first of the latest injection is combining with the last of the prior injection.
The change has brought more frequent periods of discomfort with "low" sugar levels. Overall I feel that the sugar is lower than it had been with the humulin formula. Since the toe problem that landed me in the hospital in the spring, I was making a concentrated effort for an overall lowering of the blood sugar. The change in insulin seems to have made a sharper change in that direction, unfortunately at a time when I was looking to slowly raise it again so I would feel overall better health.
Diabetic patients do need to watch themselves more closely when adapting to the new generic.

1 comment:

  1. Great Information!
    You know us great information.Interesting layout on your blog.I really enjoyed reading it and also I will be back to read more in the future.Love the blog there.You added many good information about change Generic Insulin.


    generic insulin | generic insulin online

    ReplyDelete