Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Pissing the Days Away

(Feeling it Out: The High Sugar, Part 1)
The most obvious sign of high sugar is the most obvious symptom of the onset of juvenile diabetes itself the insatiable thirst and frequent to constant urination. This makes sense with basic understanding of how the body works. The body senses the excess sugar as waste material that must be purged. It makes you thirsty to give itself the raw material of water to ease and speed the removal. In Type 2 onset, this is also present as a condition and symptom, but less prominent. Not being able to sleep through the night without a need to get up and pee is one of many subtle signs.
With some but surprisingly little exaggeration, when my sugar is really high–and I do not let it stay that way–you could pretty much stand me over a toilet with a garden hose to my mouth. At a critical high I remember (caused by having forgotten to take the insulin before work and not realizing it until after having eaten) I had to go every fifteen minutes. I’ve had nighttime surges that had me awake more frequently than every hour, and more frequently than every half hour if unable to get fully back to sleep in between trips.
This is not a comfortable situation. I do not hesitate to shoot up to resolve the problem. If I get up a second time in the night ro pee, I shoot up no matter what. Often I shoot up if I wake at all without having an "innocent" cause such as having drank a lot just before bed. Most of the time, barring other issues such as insomnia, I sleep through. I feel healthy when I do that.
This is part of the very difficult balancing act. Other people often do not understand the true difficulty involved in "controlling" the blood sugar and maintaining balance.
If my sugar is too low, I cannot sleep at all. A night of higher sugar does not provide restful sleep. For purposes of sleep "normal" hours in duration and the actual time, I rest best when the sugar is starting at (by feel) a somewhat elevated level but is on the way down. Daytime function can also feel best under those circumstances.
Most of my sugar control problems have been the at night, either too high or too low, one extreme or the other.
Because I have managed by feel rather than testing numbers for so long, I tend to notice changes in my system rather then effects on numbers. One of my HP’s weaknesses is a tendency to blame any symptom on the sugar instead of other possible factors. Prozac acts as a diarrhetic on my system, creating excess urine from the amount of water taken with the pill. My GP waved that off as urination due entirely to high sugar. My body says otherwise in function, particularly as that first draining after a Prozac pill tends to be very foamy.
While the thirst and urine cycle is the most obvious sign, I always note that diabetics can get thirsty or piss more for other reasons. A handful of pretzels can trigger great thirst for the salt but not actually raise the blood sugar. Diet soda can be a diarrhetic, causing urination in quantities beyond the amount of fluid consumed.

No comments:

Post a Comment