Friday, October 12, 2012

Intensity of Feelings

(Feeling it Out: The High Sugar, Part 2)
Unquenchable thirst and heavy urination are the most obvious feelings and signs of high sugar, but far from the only ones.
I generally feel very stiff at the times when my body is feeling high sugar. I say this with the acknowledgment that strictly by testing numbers, my sugar is always high. As discussed in the posts, the numbers and my body feeling can be contradictory. When faced with a decision over the contradictions, I would always choose to listen to my body’s demands.
When I eat dinner towards the end of my insulin cycle, my body can react quickly. I reasonable meal without a lot of sugar content can cause an uncomfortable spike in blood sugar levels, and the urination cycle will often not be the first or most apparent sign.
My ankles get particularly stiff under those circumstances. It can trigger what has been dubbed by pharmaceutical companies looking to push drugs as "restless leg syndrome." Food is in, the sugar goes up, the blood thickens, and circulation reduces. I feel no need to test when this happens. It’s easy enough to think what time it is now and when I took the last dose of insulin. The stiff ankles will always trigger after a meal consumed about 11 - 14 hours after the insulin dose, even when I have eaten very little throughout the day. When the insulin has been absorbed, it is gone and any intake will trigger a blood sugar spike.
I react by taking my evening dose of insulin. I don’t advocate that other diabetics avoid home testing because I understand the danger of the advice when misapplied. I, however, pay attention to the situational factors of my day and their effects on my diabetes.
For me, high sugar feel somewhat different when it is high from food or sugar excess than when the spike comes from the insulin having just run out or been absorbed.
High sugar from the insulin petering out is a vague discomfort. The stiffness is pronounced in the ankles and a more distant feeling elsewhere; it’s almost something that has to be specifically considered than something that would be readily noticed on its own. Thirst will not be automatic, but the tongue just doesn’t taste right and may feel thick on the surface.
I feel more intense when the sugar rises due to actual excess or having eaten something better avoided. The ankle ache won’t be a dull stiffness, but outright "cramping" pain. The overall stiffness will also have intensity enough that motor control may diminish. The tongue may taste fruity and overly sweet in that way that produces the fruity breath that is an indication of diabetes. As a child, I used to look at that last sign as a curse of how my own body would betray me to others.
These signs will usually affect me before the thirst and urination cycle begins.
I pay attention to these signs. I shoot up at first opportunity. The side effects and debilitating conditions that accompany diabetes occur from the sugar being too high. It always made sense to me not to let those feeling linger. Those aren’t comfortable feelings anyway, so I deal with them at first opportunity. Regular insulin will begin improving the feelings almost instantly.
I do not let high sugar feelings remain for long, but in years of effort, I have not been able to rectify the feelings with numbers my doctor feels comfortable with.
Whose feelings should I prioritize, my doctor’s or my own?

No comments:

Post a Comment