Thursday, October 4, 2012

Burns and Blood

It’s easy to confuse the specifics among generalities and similarities. I have caught myself doing this recently in causes and effects within my legs. I don’t think aspects of this mistake hit the blog, but it’s better to be clear.
A diabetic is inclined to have many problems with their extremities. My earliest side effects of being diabetic related to my legs below the knee. My lower legs easily cut or scrape with the slightest aggravating touch. These minor mishaps generally heal well but do scar easily. The other longstanding sign is caused by my good habit of protecting my feet with constant covering of quality socks. I should all along have been using socks that did not constrict around my ankles as much. I should have been choosing socks with less upper elasticity. The tighter socks had a tendency to rub constantly on my legs. My legs could rival the hairiness of a spider’s legs, except that socks tend to shear away hairs along the lower shins and ankles. The natural indent behind the knobby bone of the ankle maintains a tuft of hair because the socks stretch over the area rather than rub against it.
These quirks result from diabetics’ reduced circulation. Neuropathy is a completely different affects the same areas as reduced circulation, but is a completely different thing. Neuropathy is a condition of the nervous system. Circulation is blood flow. Reduced circulation hinders the main function of the blood stream: delivering oxygen throughout the body.
Neuropathy causes different problems. Usually the first sign is reduced sensations of touch and feeling. The diabetic may not feel minor cuts or other injuries to the feet and lower legs and the hands. This can be dangerous as unknown injuries will remain untreated. The poor circulation conspires with the neuropathy to raise these risks of infection and gangrene, as I perilously learned last May, as recounted in most of the entries under the "Sturdy Hospital" label.
The second most common sign of neuropathy is burning sensations. This generally occurs as the problem advances. It feels as though someone took a wooden match, lit it, then pressed it against my skim. The burns may throbs. I never had this problem until after "taking care of myself better" by working with my GP starting in 2005.
The burns will often throb in time with my pulse, and may synchronize with points of pain in different locations. The pain is not generally constant, and occurs more often at night. It can manifest from the toetips and up the legs to the waist.
My sugars have been up and down over the past few years in self-comparison. Oddly enough, I feel the burns when my A1C blood tests are higher.

No comments:

Post a Comment