Saturday, October 27, 2012

Physical Low

When I don’t get frustrated or simply wake up with the buzz of low sugar level and insulin shock, certain physical conditions are evident. Keep in mind that this is not a comprehensive list of all symptoms that can occur, but the physical symptoms that usually hit me.
If I have eaten within a few hours of the sugar level dropping, one of the first physical symptoms is flatulence. I control this when I can, but that’s not always comfortably possible. What I ate makes no difference. This does not happen when my stomach is bare empty. This effect happens most often when the sugar drops due to increased physical activity rather than just not having eaten enough.
I will get tingly, especially in hands and feet, an itchy hot feeling.
I get hot and usually sweat. This is often the first symptom to subside with food as blood goes to the belly. I normally get cold after eating if it is under about 60 degrees F or less, and things have been that way since the 1990s.
I get weak and light headed. These days, this aspect will include vertigo. As some of the medications I am on and the eye problems themselves can cause vertigo, I am not sure to what extent the change in Wal-Mart’s ReliOn Insulin causes this specific problem.
Generalized shakiness will overcome me. More often than not, motor control diminishes.
There is a panic sense of urgency. When the sugar starts to fall I can put off resolution, but once a critical level is reached nothing can distract from the need. At advanced stages of low sugar, this does not become a short temper issue, but an exclusive focus on eating to ignorance of all other factors. I totally disconnect from anything else until the blood sugar levels rise.
Overall, it is a very weak and vulnerable feeling.
I have never had fainting spells or passed out due to the sugar being low. This may very well be because the sugar drop is typically a relative fall to where my sugar had been rather than a sheer drop to a home meter test number of 70 or less. While working on trying to get the numbers down last summer, I often let the low sugar feelings stretch out. That did not seem to work. Even as I felt everything was lower, the A1C remained high. There’s been considerable drug interaction in the past ten months, and my disabilities have had other effects that I should have anticipated....

No comments:

Post a Comment