Monday, August 27, 2012

The Good and Bad

Separate feedback has dubbed it both odd and contradictory that I continue to see a General Practitioner who I do not really like. People have been calling me odd my entire life and contrary for all of my adult life, so I don’t understand where the surprise comes from. I’ll explain the GP thing anyway.
Other friends who are far more accustomed to seeing doctors regularly don’t like my GP. One of those primary two has actually met the GP. Neither thinks he is a very good doctor. I don’t feel all that qualified to judge. I know when I have a bad doctor, such as when one scares me into surgery that can cause the very thing it is supposed to prevent. I do not, however, necessarily know when a doctor is good.
My GP has not done anything that has directly caused harm. That’s part of my minimum criteria in keeping with a doctor who may not be the best match for me. As stated above and perhaps often exaggerated with defensiveness and warped pride, I can be contrary. Don’t think I would agree with any doctor 100% and don’t want to go through the effort of training someone new how to deal with me and where the lines in the sand are drawn. I can deal with a face-to-face disagreement without getting mad, but if a new potential doctor were to try to move the line in the hopes the blind guy won’t know the difference, I’m inclined to get annoyed.
I live a fairly healthy life with two things that are "bad bad bad" according to all doctors and most common sense. I’ll save the full confessions for some other time. It’s safe to say that any doctor would have objection to either. Some doctors would decline me as a patient for one or both.
I live and eat healthier than most Americans. I don’t eat a fiber and fart rich diet chock full of fruits and vegetables with every meal, but I seldom stray into bad foods at either take-out or at-home levels. I eat few pre-pared foods and when having a choice "on the road" I always choose Subway over the burger joints. At home, I am inclined to an occasional can of soup and the worst thing to get through the door is the Hamburger Helper stroganoff. I hope that adding string beans or peas to the salty mix makes it less bad. (It doesn’t.)
None of that is enough for my GP. I appreciate that he holds the hardline, and there’s seldom conflict about it. I’m honest with him and expect the same from him. The few actual cross words have come when he pushes some issues. when the hard line holding becomes nagging, I get put off no matter who the nag is.
I am realistic. If I eliminate the few extravagances–which are never diabetic catastrophe such as a package of Oreos–I will feel deprived. That feeling is the universal doom to any diet, diabetic or average-Joe weight loss diet. No diet will work unless it can be lived for the rest of the dieter’s life. Otherwise, the gains and benefits are only temporary, and lost the first time the dieter overcompensates for feeling deprived. When my doctor gives m the impression he will never be pleased, I stop trying to please him. That does not extend to becoming contrary just to be contrary.
My doctor is no dietician and has been unable to answer some questions I have raised. He could stand to lose some weight himself, though I have yet to point that out to him directly.

No comments:

Post a Comment