Thursday, August 30, 2012

Notifications

Now I’m about ready to start signing those online "petitions" that tell the world "Facebook made changes I hate" or the simpler "I hate Facebook" or "Boycott Facebook." Two things keep me from doing that. The first is that I find it silly. The second is that finding those things would be a major waste of time and energy, perhaps without success.
I can see enough to use the computer only with a tandem of aid. I use a 32-inch TV as a monitor. I need the otherwise useless glasses on. I enlarge the zooms in programs and/or use big font sizes. Font sizes for emails usually have to be reduced when cut and paste into the email so people do not think I am "yelling." I use a mouse that has an option of a magnifying square.
I navigate web pages in part by familiarity in knowing where to find specific things such as links. When pages or sites I am familiar with change, this throws major chaos into my world and wastes a lot of time. U can see general shapes and layout of entire pages, or I can see details like words in limited areas. I can’t do both, and searching with the magnifier can be a dizzying experience. I cannot see an entire line of type, so need to keep moving the magnifier from end of line to front and hope I don’t overdo the vertical axis so much that I lose the line.
I am not complaining outright. I am grateful I have retained enough to be able to get by on anything on my own. It would be awkward to vent irritations about my roommate to electronic friends if the roommate had to type the emails.
Hover menus for links are impractical. I usually cannot see the appearing list while still hovering over the button that triggered the submenu. Moving the magnifier a little bit to see the list triggers a new list or makes the first one disappear. These features are nifty little developer tools and may scream "modern website" but they are not the best use for all sites and can discourage readers. The barrier can be to visually disabled such as myself, but can also effect people with unsteady hands and other disabilities.
Facebook also made changes this summer, beyond corporate structural changes that drained investors of money. Earlier this year, I could find things on the sire’s complex but not complicated layout, and they sent automatic emails for friend requests and messages. They stopped doing that. I missed a number of messages and had begun to wonder why I had become such a pariah that no one ever answered any of my messages.
Worse, the basic page has become outright complicated with multiple window panes and boxes. I couldn’t find the links to send messages, so I resorted to sniping people who were online with the IM then logging off. Up until recently, I’d get a regular email that would clearly link me to any response. I can handle regular email much easier and recommend it to friends.
Don’t send me texts; I can’t see my phone screen at all.
The magnifying mouse is invaluable to me. It makes the section of screen I am viewing really bigger inside a box that moves when I move the mouse. In doing so, it displaces the regular

No comments:

Post a Comment