Thursday, August 23, 2012

Ankles Aweigh!

The blind thing is enough to deal with. The ankle is an additional permanent handicap.
The basics for newer readers and people with polite curiosity about that limpy gimpy guy at East Providence Lanes a couple nights per week:
In October 2011 I unintentionally self inflicted tendon damage in my foot. Even without bone breaks or stress fractures, I developed a rare diabetic complication called Charcot "Sharko" Foot. This causes massive swelling that the body uses to protect the foot from further injury. The link tag can direct readers to more detailed posts about the condition.
Diabetic circulation is typically reduced to begin with. The massive inflammation further reduced the circulation in my right foot, and the foot was unable to get the nutrients it needed. During the periods of worst swelling and least circulation, the central bone/s of my right ankle, the talus and calcaneus, lost density and mass. This softened those bones. They moved and turned a little. The tibia no longer fits with them correctly and is permanently out of place. Direct-weight use of the ankle risks further displacement of the bones.
A "medical appliance" called a Crow Boot protects the ankle from further harm. The crow boot encases the ankle, restricts all movement, and diverts weight from the ankle to the rest of the foot and upper leg. It is awkward and clunky, but allows mobility I otherwise would not have. I am pretty bad with crutches, and my house has too many stairs, inside and out.
It’s a bulky Iron Man type contraption of hard black plastic on the outside. The inside is foam that keeps everything snug and sheltered, like a clarinet case. It’s a shell with upper and lower halves that interlock and hold together with velcro straps. With the risk that weight-bearing use of the ankle could cause the leg bone to completely fall out of place and possibly puncture the skin from the inside on the way out, I need the Crow Boot or crutches to even move around the house.
I checked the bowling center management and the United States Bowling Congress about accommodation or allowance for the boot as I certainly could not heft even my lightweight ball without the boot. As long as it is covered to prevent "outside materials" from dislodging from the boot and posing hazard to other bowlers, there are no objections or rule violations.
The Crow Boot is a permanent fixture. The ankle is not going to "uncollapse." My right leg is now about an inch shorter than the left.
Yes, I tend to move like the mummy, THUMP step THUMP step THUMP step, but that’s a lot better than not being able to move around at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment