Sunday, November 27, 2011

Sloshing thru the Muck

I really want to maintain some kind of positive balance, to say something nice (but true) about any doctor I mention here as I go over my experiences with each in this long, crazy account of going blind.
When it comes to Deborah Schlossman, I can’t. I want to Joslin Diabetes Center for a fresh start and to resume monitoring the failing eye and perhaps find treatments to save what I could.
Instead, the records I had sent were not to be found and I met Dr Schlossman
She concentrated on the long-dark eye that I said was a secondary concern compared to the active diminishment in the left eye.
Her treatment held little more than an appointment to see her again some other time.
She utterly failed to listen to her patient’s concerns and had left the building for the day at noon before the technician could photograph my eyes..
She put notes I my records that indicated she had seen and spoken with me far more extensively than she actually did, including medical precautions of do’s and don’t’s that she never said to me. I still wonder id this was some kind of medical malpractice buffer or if she was just "proving" to her bosses at Joslin that she is some great employee rather than the lazy hack she proved herself to be to me.
I’ve worked in plenty of places where the good employees compensated for the useless ones, so perhaps I should not be surprised that the medical profession has its share as well.
As one of two other Joslin doctors who saw me that same day, Doctor Paul Arrigg compensated for Schlossman. Nothing could be done about the missing records, but I maintained hope that actually having looked at the eye would restart the Joslin experience in a good way.

No comments:

Post a Comment