Saturday, November 26, 2011

Eye Climic at Joslin Diabetes Center

Although I had decided I would not go to Koch Eye Associates again, I needed to have the eye monitored and tracked. I had been done badly by Koch and had been disillusioned by the Rhode Island doctor who is considered best, Harold Woodcomb. I had also been disillusioned by Massachusetts Eye and Ear. When I get disillusioned, I walk away.
I chose to go to the eye clinic at Joslin Center. They’re rated as one of the best diabetes hospitals in the world. I had enough problems and paid for all medical expenses out of pocket, so I did not want to waste time and money shopping around for second rate doctors.
Yet again, I was off to a rocky start.
The technician who made the preliminary exam stated they could not find the medical records that I had e-mailed to them when I made the appointment, so Joslin would be running with no documented history.
I saw Doctor Deborah K. Schlossman late on a Friday morning. I had high hopes in going there.
Doctor Schlossman looked things over quickly after I told her the circumstances that had brought me to Joslin. I bit my lip when she seemed to concentrate on the long "dead" right eye with plans of what might be done for it. I might have been more eager to hear those plans if she had made any reference as to what could be done for the problematic left eye. I was more interested in preventing further loss of vision than getting greedy to seize what I could for the right eye. He plans amounted to cataract surgery on the right eye and retinal re-attachment and instructions that IU make an appointment with her in conjunction with one of Joslin’s cataract doctors. She then sent me in to photography.
When the photographer had done her thing, she told me to have a nice weekend.
Imagine my surprise that Dr Schlossman hadn’t planned on looking over the photographs of my mangles eyes and going over her assessment of the left eye with me.
Imagine the photographer’s surprise when I told her that I had come for treatment for the left eye and that I wasn’t leaving without some. Confusion ensued, in part because Dr Schlossman had left for the day immediately after seeing me.
While I do not know the specifics, I was not the only patient upset with Schlossman that day. The photographer told another patient something along the lines of "You can join Mr. Kozzi with that complaint."
I heard that while waiting to be squeezed in by another doctor, and it made me think that at least this time I had some independent clue at the time that it wasn’t just me.
Not that the thought provided any relief....

No comments:

Post a Comment