Friday, December 14, 2012

Splendid Equality

Here’s a natural bridge from the last post about sodas. I stated how I did not like the aftertaste of soda varieties sweetened with Splenda©. It tastes like sugar soda to me.
I don’t use Splenda, but have stuck with Nutrasweet as an artificial sweetener, in soda, coffee or any other things I feel the need to add an artificial sweetener. I like the taste and am used to it. If in a restaurant where the options are only Splenda or saccharine-based Sweet-n-Low, I will use Splenda.
But I would never allow myself to use Splenda regularly or habitually. This is a precaution based on the processes of my brain I call logic. I have not specifically researched this independently or for this post. My declining eyesight does not really allow me to research it now.
Here’s my precautionary logic:
Splenda is made from true sugar. It was modified to be a no- or low-calorie sweetener that tastes like real sugar. It did succeed in that, as my dislike of Diet Coke with Splenda demonstrated to me. I have no doubt that this is a great product for dieters.
I am not convinced it’s a good idea for diabetics, whether childhood or age advanced. Splenda, as a modified sugar, seems very likely to be processed by the body as sugar. Diabetics may benefit from the reduced calorie aspects, but could easily find that Splenda would raise their sugar as much as real unmodified sugar does.
I never tried Splenda to know if it would have such an effect on me. I saw no reason to risk this and still don’t.
You can call me paranoid, or cite studies that say Splenda is perfectly safe for diabetics. I will still stick with Equal.
Splenda is a new product, so may have effects not yet realized, or, worse, have effects that are being concealed. I do not know if it was ever specifically tested with diabetics. I would assume that any such tests were carried out by the manufacturer and spun to say what the manufacturer wanted without any outright lies.
This same logic, based on a general understanding of basic sciences, kept me from any temptation to try inhalable insulin, which was very shortly pulled from the market for causing lung cancer.
Just as I never thought inhaling a hormone was a good idea, I just don’t see any wisdom of diabetics habitually consuming modified sugar.

No comments:

Post a Comment