Friday, December 7, 2012

Cereal

It’s not just for breakfast and has been the staple of my diet for my entire adult life. There’s a great variety available, almost all of which are well fortified with vitamins and minerals. The per serving cost is reasonable, and it takes less time to prepare than to eat.
The habit for me was probably introduced during the sixth grade hospitalization, when cereal was not just for breakfast but also a recommended evening snack.
Part of my problem with cereal is that I do tend to eat too much at a time. I don’t add the recommended serving to a recommended amount of milk, but mix in the bowl according to how much the cereal will float and overflow. When I eat the cereal totally out of the milk, I will add more cereal to the remaining milk, again and again until gone.
I time when I eat adult or kids’ cereals. I try tp keep sweeter cereals to earlier in insulin cycles or when the sugar is actively low. This will counterbalance the sugar surge of Fruity Pebbles. That said, I have noticed that less sugary cereals will also give a sugar surge, but they do so later, more from the combination of carbs and sugars than from sheer sugar. Rice Krispies, Corn Chex or Rice Chex will surge my sugar about the same as Trix or Frosted Flakes, but will do so later than the sweeter cereals, s such, I will often hit a second sugar low when the sugars of the sweeter cereals passes, but more "age appropriate" cereals will give a surge so much later that eating something else hours later creates a bit of an overload.
Raw sugar with little else hits faster but burns out faster. In many ways it’s easier to keep track of rawer, simpler sugars than a mix of sugars and more complex carbohydrates. Do not discount the sugar content of even diabetic-friendly cereals. Rice Krispies ingredients reveal rice then three different forms of sugar–regular sugar, corn syrup and malt flavoring–as almost the sole ingredients, and if they used sugar rather than corn syrup, sugar would probably be the primary ingredient.
So while much of my diet derives from these products, I often need to remind myself about the importance of moderation with any dietary source, and I need to pay attention to the effects of new varieties.

No comments:

Post a Comment