Thursday, December 13, 2012

Drink Coke, Soon Croak

The last absolutely forbidden food to me is sugared soda. I learned this at 15 ½ years old in my driver’s ed class. My sugar was down, and I drank a quarter to a third of a friend’s can of Coca-Cola. By the time I was home, I was feeling ill from high sugar.
The effect was so pronounced that nearly thirty years later, I cannot comprehend why any diabetic would knowing consume sugar soda. In general, diet sodas are readily available almost anywhere, and the quality of the product has skyrocketed since the advent of Diet Coke n the mid-1980’s. Even with those who are allergic to the phenylamine in Nutra-sweet, the damage sugar soda will do to a diabetic body does not come close to compensating for the allergy.
I seldom order fountain soda in restaurant due to the risks associated with server error or the kitchen staff accidentally hooking up the wrong syrup bag to the diet spigot.
I can drink Kool-Aid. I can drink a restaurant brixed lemonade if my sugar is lower to begin with. Both will raise my sugar, but not to drastic levels. I cannot drink sugared soda under any circumstance.
Not all sugared sodas are the same. Caffeinated varieties such as colas and Mountain Dew contain more sugar than other varieties. Sprite or 7-Up have less sugar than Coke. Ginger le still has even less sugar than lemon/lime, but why would you drink it at all? It’s absolutely empty sugar than can overwhelm your system before you know it.
Tab stick urine sugar testers can be used to determine that you have indeed received diet soda in restaurants. If what you are served tastes like regular soda, it is best to return it and have it removed from the bill and drink water with the meal. Any other action can and usually will amount to an argument with the server that neither side can win, An error could have been made in the syrup bag, and even if fixed, sugar syrup may remain in the line.
If you are a Type 2 who doesn’t like the "aftertaste" of diet soda, you just need to make a longer adjustment. Switch to the diet of a different flavor or brand of soda and drink that exclusively for about a month. Then switch to the diet variety of "your" soda and the particular aftertaste will not be as noticeable. If still available, Splenda varieties of soda will have a very similar aftertaste to regular sodas. After forty years of diet soda, I don’t like the aftertaste of regular sodas, or their Splenda counterparts. This gives me innate understanding of Type 2 diabetics who have difficulty to this particular change necessitated by a new condition, but I still have no sympathy on that one. I am no fragile diabetic and can eat almost anything in moderation, but sugar soda always makes me ill.

No comments:

Post a Comment