Sunday, December 9, 2012

Bye Bye Miss American...

There’s been some minor doubt or scoffing about my reports of the effects of kids’ cereals from adult cereals. I’m just reporting the effects of my body from different foods. Basically, kids’ cereal will push my sugar up sooner and the influx of raw sugar will be affected More quickly by insulin and activity. Adult cereals also contain raw sugar, but in more of a balance with carbohydrate sugars and often fruit sugars. Even a basic healthy cereals such as ice Chex will spike my sugar about the same as a pre-sweetened cereal, but the high effect will hit later from consumption.
I’ve never doubted this or thought more deeply about it because it is consistent with the reasoning of my second group of "forbidden" food, the stuff I can’t eat under any circumstances.
This group is fruit pies. I learned of this incompatibility to my system during my teen years. To counterbalance a low sugar episode, I ate a Hostess apple pie. It did lift my sugar. And it kept lifting my sugar. On the inside of an hour, was feeling excessively high sugar and needed to shoot up. Those roller coaster rides of highs and lows in short times are some of the most difficult days to deal with.
I am no fragile diabetic, and my readers should keep that in mind when applying my reports to their own conditions. My body handles raw sugar fairly well.
Most fruit pies contain real sugar. Often, they contain brown sugar as well. My body’s problem with these food, including nut pies, is beyond the basic sugar. On top of any sucrose forms, these are naturally high in fructose from the filling, be it apple or cherry or blueberry. Nut pies such as pecan will add other forms of complicated sugar, and are also inedible to me. And on top of raw sugars n the fillings and the fructose or nut sugars, the crust will often contain raw sugar on top of the carbohydrate sugars. Pies essentially become a source of multiple forms of sugar all consumed at once. This mix overloads the system, and when eaten as a dessert, is adding to any raw and complex sugars eaten with the main meal. I can handle moderate amounts of fruit jelly on toast or a bagel, but fruit pies are dangerous for me, often with effects not just excessive, but unpredictable.
The effect of that Hostess pie is still with me nearly thirty years later. As un-American as it sounds, I detest apple pie. Even the smell can be nauseating to me. I still like raw apples, but even non-pie bakes of stewed and sugar apples carries a taste with a severe negative association. I can enjoy gourd pies and custard pies, but all fruit and nut varieties hold zero temptation for me. I know they will get me sick by overload. Few fruit based deserts hold temptation for me.
I’ve never gotten overloaded on adult cereals. But compared to the "empty" sugar of kids cereals, the sugar content in the healthier cereal varieties can have complicated processing by the body
Fruit pies are best avoided by dieters and diabetics alike.

No comments:

Post a Comment