Saturday, December 15, 2012

Milking the Diet

Cow’s milk has always been a major part of my diet, both as the base in which to eat cold cereal and on its own.
My body can be pretty primal. I don’t fight cravings, and any serious problems with bones or teeth or other problems such as a traumatic toenail injury will make me crave milk. During a time when a low level tooth infection went undiagnosed and treated, the milk craving was at an extreme. I would stop and buy two gallons at 7-11. I would swig from the gallon before driving the six blocks home. When parked, I would swig some more then walk up the two flights. I’d swig some more before putting the two new gallons in the fridge. The gallon I’d be drinking from could be more than half gone before it ever hit the fridge.
My doctor told me this was diabetic thirst. I know better. Milk doesn’t quench thirst; it usually coats the tongue and throat and increases thirst. Those times I have diabetic thirst, only water satisfies.
I never noticed any changes as the milk addictions came and went. About the time I gained a roommate, I switched from whole milk to the "healthier" 1% low fat milk. That was just easier than arguing for what I liked better. I also did not notice any change in my sugar during the time of the change. The 1% habit remained for years.
What has become apparent is that my body cannot metabolize the 1% as well. I’m not talking about lactose intolerance. Low fat milk raises my sugar more than whole milk does.
Shooting up extra insulin after a milk binge could not compensate when I indulged the cravings. When the ankle collapsed due to the Charcot Foot, my milk cravings were at a new high. The night I went into the hospital for the sudden toe infection had been a high milk night. I had eaten little throughout the day, a reasonable dinner, then about a half gallon of 1% before going into the hospital. Having become aware that milk was contributing to higher sugar levels, I had shot up before leaving.
My sugar was still in the 600’s when they tested in the hospital, and I could feel the insulin dose doing nothing.
I’ve since gone back to whole milk. The roommate mostly stays with 1%, but he has always been inconsistent about that and often eats cold cereal with ½ and ½ poured over it.
My sugars have felt better since I made the switch. 1%^ milk actually raises my sugar more than a glass of Kool-Aid will. Whole milk gets absorbed by my body in a more measured way, without absolute sugar surges.
I don’t claim to understand this. Low fat salad dressings definitely have added sugar. Low fat milks do not. Something about the low-fat process changes the milk’s biochemistry and how my diabetic body reacts to it.
This effect as observes in a "whole food" form reinforces my theories that "healthy" dietary changes can be beneficial to the normal dieter but catastrophic to diabetics. Our bodies metabolize changed foods in some fundamental and often unexpected ways. Diabetic diets are best in avoidance of pre-prepared and processed foods. As that can never be fully avoided in this day and age, we need to watch what we eat and what effects any change may bring.
The lower fat and reduced cholesterol benefits don’t amount to much if our blood sugar is always higher for the change.

No comments:

Post a Comment