Sunday, September 2, 2012

Caution: Blind Bowler!

Bowling has resumed. It’s one of the last things I can still do at all. Like anything else, I can’t do it as well, but I am lucky to have very patient teammates who sacrifice competitive edge yo bowl with a blind guy who has to cover the Crow Boot with a pillowcase.
To answer the usual and natural questions:
I have enough vision based on contrast of tone, shade and color to see the lane defined. The laminate is a very light wood color and the gutters are dark gray. I started bowling as a half-blind individual with no depth perception, so I always threw a straight ball. I line myself up for the throw and hope it stays straight.
I can see the contrast of the foul line and usually leave myself some extra space. Due to the Crow boot, I can no longer do an approach, so throw from a standing position.
The limitations of the boot are things I have to relearn. I’m not always throwing from a still position. I have to unlearn habits.
My teammates tell me what pins are still standing after the first throw. I try to realign according to pin positions. We hope for the best.
Obviously, I am bowling with some helpful and patient people. That they bowl on a team with me demonstrates good things about their characters. The people bowling for competition rather than a weekly social event aren’t as patient. It all depends on where the individual emphasis is.
I feel awkward sometimes about the heightened need. When my teammates get absorbed in their conversation, I need to interrupt or wait patiently to be told what pins to shoot for. I feel like a toddler on a carousel, waving frantically in demand for attention with every revolution. I don’t see well enough to even be able to pretend to be able to pay comparable attention to the efforts of my teammates or the opposition, and that does trigger twinges of guilt. I firmly believe in all people being equal, with everyone having times when they are a priority. I don’t indulge people who think they are always the priority, so truly hate anything that pushes me in that direction.
I can do as well as I can in part because the nature of it being a competitive sport, the lighting is well researched and planned. Lighting is very uniform, without glare, and never in my eyes. It’s actually one of the more comfortable places for me.
Vision is tougher when I am not actually facing the lanes. People are still shadowy and darkened. Identify individuals more by shape and body language and voice than by traditional ways. I am one of those people who always had a problem with faces, so a lifetime of adjusting to that may have become an asset in dealing with the vision loss. I do not often stray away from my table to socialize unless I am fairly certain who I will be bumping into (which all too often is literal.)
The first week of competition in the Thursday League achieved 83, 102 and 115. That’s certainly not competition for High Average awards, but should be a good enough foundation to realistically build off of as I relearn the sport with my new status quo of limitations.

No comments:

Post a Comment