Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Odd and Mismated

There’s been arguin’ goin’ on ‘round these parts. All my fault, of course.
I have now had time to fully psychologically accept the fact that the Crow Boot is a permanent fixture on my right foot. It will probably only become unnecessary when the eventual inevitability of amputation occurs.
I cannot move around without the Crow Boot, or more unwieldy, crutches. I am not very coordinated with the crutches and they prevent any real use of my hands. As clunky and indiscreet as the Crow Boot is, I appreciate having it because I would be totally useless without it. Putting weight on the right ankle risks further collapse and the even more gruesome possibility that the tibia could fall off its structure and pierce the skin from the inside.
With this acceptance comes the realization that I have a lot of shoes, specifically right-foot shoes, that are useless to me. The argument with the roommate started when I asked about the VA or other places that may want donation of single shoes. I was told how absurd the concept was and railed to throw the useless things away.
I don’t remember where I heard about one shoe donations. It could have been an Ann Landers column of decades past, or something during my lucrative time selling shoes with Filene’s. The desire for donations like that was just an oddity that stuck with me.
Other people I asked had never heard of such a thing either, although those conversations did not degenerate into arguments about people who hoard trash.
I sold shoes for a living. I am a diabetic who always took the basics of foot care seriously enough that I seldom bought cheap shoes and I never "suffered" shoes that hurt my feet. The ones that weren’t comfortable got put into donation bins where they could hurt the feet of needy people who statistically would not be diabetics.
I’m not a fashionable guy, but low end shoes for me are Skechers and Bass. I’ve shown brand loyalty to Clarks, Timberland and Johnston & Murphy. As the thought was not to pass off cheap ass shoes to people, I really don’t think I was crazy for thinking that these things could serve a purpose greater than landfill.
I should have just gone to the internet rather than asking around. I found a list of organizations seeking such donations at http://www.amputee-coalition.org/fact_sheets/oddshoe.html
There’s great resources there both for people looking for one-shoe sources and those in a position to donate.
Calling the Providence Veterans/VA hospital did net the best, nost immediate results.
Maybe I am crazy, but not about this.

No comments:

Post a Comment