Sunday, September 16, 2012

Rationale and Rationalizations

I don’t test my blood sugars, Instead I pay attention to the indications my body gives, which is a constant process. I will post with more specific details, but this post will I’ve a run down of the rationale and rationalizations behind my seat-of-the-pants management of my diabetes. Please note, as I will explain in more detail, that the "feeling it out" process started by lack of funds, not specific or intentional disregard for medical practice. Nor do I recommend this to anyone, even given my cynical first point. I don’t even claim to be right on this issue. I just know it has worked for me.
I find the home blood testing process to be something of a captured audience racket by pharmaceutical companies. The technology exists for scanner devices that would not require test strips or lancet needles that must be bought for each individual test. The industry has no motivation to make these technologies available as it would mean serious revenue loss for the test strip and lancet manufacturers. It would, however, also mean millions of dollars in saving for medicare and insurance coverages.
I manage by feel. It happened in my doctor’s office that the numbers and the sensations appeared contradictory. As my body went through a relative drop, it triggered that low sugar feeling as it always does. One of the medical assistants ran a meter test and it came out around 400. If there’s any contradiction between the numbers and my body, I’m going to pay attention to my body. It may not look like much, but I trust it.
The finger pricking, and the "other site" poking hurts. The blood letting is far more uncomfortable than the needles used to take the insulin. Unlike taking insulin, test pricks are not strictly necessary for survival.
I do not see how constantly driving needles through fingertips can fail to hasten the development of neuropathy in diabetics. It seems scientifically impossible for the constant poking of the fingers’ and arms’ nerves not to further neuropathy problems via injury and stress to the nerves.
On the same token, it makes no sense to me to warn diabetics about being mindful of cuts or problems on the extremities due to risks of infection, then have them inflict multiple skin breaks per day. Sterilization at the site at the time does not guarantee germs can get in the hole later or that the holes will not reopen.
Non intrusive gauges such as urine testing served diabetics for decades. They are less costly, and obviously would not raise the same profits for the pharmaceuticals.
Tests such as the A1C can guide the diabetic to how he is doing. Yes, there are lab costs involved, but most doctors order these tests in addition to running home meter tests anyway.
In the ultimate equation of time, money and aggravation equation that I run on most anything, the entire process seems wasteful. The benefits to the pharmaceutical companies and those suppliers who ship automatically and bill Medicare such as Liberty Medical seem far greater than any direct benefit I (or Medicare) receive.

No comments:

Post a Comment