Sunday, September 9, 2012

General Principle

OK, so after depressive diversions and digressions, it’s back to the issue of my General Practitioner. I like him. He is a nice guy. He is a competent doctor. I’ve been seeing him since 2005, so he and I typically can deal with each other well. He can be difficult and I freely acknowledge it: so can I.
A couple people that are closest to me do not like my GP. Both encourage me to change doctors. I am resistant to do that because the "interview" process is something I dread, and because there’s no inflammatory problem with my GP. If I dismissed him, I would be likely to go without until I actually needed a doctor. My GP is competent. I just don’t know that he is all that good.
My GP has gained points by being honest when saying he did not know about certain aspects. To me, that is always preferable than someone who pretends to know and makes matters worse through ignorance. He has stated outright that he was not knowledgeable about advanced eye issues past generalities. He is not up on dietary remedies, causes, or alleviation to specific problems. On the upside, he was able to explain things like the eye problems being potentially as much of a cause of vertigo or balance issues as the inner ears can be. Like anyone and almost everything, he has both good and bad points, and the balance is acceptable to me, most of the time.
My big complaint is a glaring point to me. This may sound odd with the general occupation that he practices medicine, but I do not like his fixation on prescription medication. This was a source of dislike for him from the time I first met him while being treated for the broken shoulder. He had told me then that if he took me on as a regular patient, he would want me on a cholesterol medication and a blood pressure medication and a couple other things, all because I am diabetic. My problem with that was and is very basic: my blood pressure reading was in the normal range (~138/78) and he had not tested for cholesterol. I find something wrong with doctors prescribing drugs on "general principle" and not by demonstrated need. This makes me feel as though he is puppet and pawn of the pharmaceutical companies. I have never lost that opinion. I have just tempered it with the certainty that I would never find a doctor with whom I agree about everything
My roommate numbers among those who think I should find another doctor because of the drug pushing issue. The roommate doesn’t necessarily think casual and automatic reliance on chemical concoctions is a bad thing. Because I know my GP is inclined to throw a drug at any problem I mention, I don’t mention many problems and discomforts. My roommate feels I am disservicing my own best interests with my reluctance to communicate issues with the GP.
He’s probably right.

No comments:

Post a Comment