Monday, July 2, 2012

To Build a Better Me

I debated with myself whether or not to name Doctor Douglas Grod outright. I liked him, personally and professionally. I would not hesitate to be treated by him again, if my regular foot doctor, Thomas Mancini, were to be unavailable. Grod had great bedside manner, though my cynical nature cannot separate the routine from the sales pitch. Mancini had recommended Grod because Grod might be willing to do more than any other local foot doctor would. Grod's approved bio indicates this at: http://www.rifootcare.com/douglas-j-glod.html
My hesitation to name him stems entirely that I chose not to go ahead with what Grod could offer. Mancini recommended Grod in large part because, as the site claims, Grod "has been able to pioneer techniques in limb salvage that few in Rhode Island or in the New England area have ventured."
By my experience and in opinion not exclusive to me, "pioneering" can be interpreted as "experimental." To put it in my blunt way that is the precise reason for my hesitation to outright name someone who I did judge to be a good doctor, the process put before me in May 2012 seemed freakishly Frankenstein-ish on more than one level.
My ankle is bad and will never fully recover. The Charcot condition resulted in the loss of bone density while the ankle was too swollen for healthy circulation to be possible. Without good blood flow ushering nutrients where they needed to be, I suffered bone density loss in the center of the ankle.
The chance of success was maybe 50/50. Failure would result in amputation. I give kudos to Dr. Grod for his brutal honesty; he tried to neither hide nor gloss over the risks. Unlike Dr. Dumbass, Dr. Grod did not rely on old X-rays or scans or other doctors’ appraisals of my condition to determine what he could do about it.
For reasons I will make clear in an upcoming post "Salvage Operation," I decided against this procedure.
I do, however, sincerely appreciate the opportunity to have been presented with the option in a fair and informative manner and been allowed to make up my own mind about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment