Friday, June 29, 2012

Feet on Solid Ground

I nay be harsh at times, but I always aim to be fair.
I am so direct and open when dissatisfied with a doctor that I feel a need to post when I encounter a really good one. Dr. Thomas Mancini, with offices in East Greenwich, RI and on Mineral Spring Avenue in North Providence, is one of the good ones.
I do not know (or care) if he is related to the other podiatrist Mancini who has an office on Armistice Boulevard in Pawtucket.
Just as I state why I come to dislike or distrust specific doctors, I want to point out the factors of Mancini’s positive appraisal.
He listens. This can’t be overstated. As a diabetic, I have heard a lot of pop-psychology jargon about needing a "medical team" for my care. In such terms, Mancini would be part of the "team" of which the patient should always be captain and manager. We’ve fully discussed aspects of my foot problems, including the infection and the ongoing Charcot condition. It is also obvious to me that Dr. Mancini had put independent thought into things.
He made himself fully available to me and my roommate when and since things went bad with the toe infection. He has been great in booking timely emergency visits as issues arose.
The foot has been fully inspected with each visit and he has done anything and everything necessary, from the Charcot to the infected toe to routine things.
He has answered any questions I posed rather than become defensive or offended by them. There are darker aspects of my long term prognosis that he stayed quiet about, but he sugar coated nothing when I raised such issues. If anything, he seemed genuinely relieved that I was able to bridge the subjects, which included my belief that it is probably inevitable that, sooner or later, I will lose the right foot below the knee due to the Charcot condition.
Dr. Mancini has no God Complex. He is approachable and knows his own limitations. When the hospitalization for the infection ended, the Charcot condition was much worse. Without hesitation, and without trying to pawn me off on someone else, he recommended me to another foot doc, Douglas Grod to look into treatment beyond what Mancini felt he could do. As it turns out, Mancini was not sold on the ultimate wisdom of doing what Grod could do. The point to me is that even with his unvoiced objection to the potential procedure, Dr. Mancini made the recommendation for me to look further into the situation.
I have seen very little humility like that among doctors, and the entire experience–which is ongoing–makes me recommend Dr. Thomas Mancini above any other foot doctor in Rhode Island, for diabetics or people with other foot problems.

No comments:

Post a Comment