Sunday, July 22, 2012

Staying Regular

There’s different kinds of insulin. I take injections of "R" and "N." R used to stand for regular and "N" used to be part of "NPH." R acts instantly while "N" is a time release medication.
Insulin is a hormone the body secretes in reaction to consumption. The body cannot make energy from food without insulin.
Because the diabetic’s body does not manufacture its own insulin, the hormone must be taken by external means. Type 1 "childhood" diabetic must inject "true and full" insulin. Type 2 "age advanced" diabetics can sometimes take oral medication, if the pancreas (the organ that produces insulin) still works somewhat.
The metabolic process is automatic with "healthy" people. The body produces insulin in reaction to food, and the proper amount to convert the intake to energy or to store energy in the form of body fat. The failure of the process is why a symptom of Type 1 onset is weight loss; the body is not converting food to stored energy, thus it enters the system as raw material and stays in the blood rather than converts to fat.
Some modern theories and practices of diabetes "management" has the patient using only fast acting insulin to be taken with every meal. This more closely replicates how the body works. That course of treatment wouldn’t really work for me. It seems too inconvenient. The patient must always have insulin and syringes available. I am also cynical about some of the larger implications. About the same time this course of treatment emerged, philosophies on insulin storage changed. In the "old days," insulin was supposed to be refrigerated at all times. Upon use, the patient would roll the vial between his hands to both mix the insulin and to slightly warm it. Now, in perfect compatibility with treatment that increases the profits of syringe manufacturers, insulin should be refrigerated until it is opened, and then left at room temperature for up to thirty days. This conflicts with my mental processes that have me trained that things can be stored at room temperature until they are opened, and must be refrigerated afterwards.
My other concern is another "logical" resistance. I think the "healthy body" probably ensures trace amounts of natural insulin would always be kicking around the bloodstream. If a diabetic stops using time release insulin altogether, he would have no "background" insulin remaining.
To great controversy from just about everyone in my life, do not test my blood sugar. I manage myself by how I feel. Having done that for so long, I can say with certainty that I can feel it when my insulin runs out. The "regular" insulin works instantly, and the time release lasts about twelve hours. Even when I have eaten nothing and am feeling signs of needing to eat, I can also feel the need of insulin.
The conflicting feelings can be confusing. I do not need help getting confused even that twice a day of IO stretch time between injections. I couldn’t imagine getting that "insulin empty" feeling multiple times throughout the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment