Thursday, July 5, 2012

Salvage Operation

Dr. Douglas Grod put a "salvage" operation process before me . Grod would replace the deteriorated bones with healthy cadaver bones. Then I would need recovery time, perhaps six months or longer, with some or even most of it in a recuperative nursing home.
Dr. Grod showed me the brace that would support the healing limb and make sure no weight ever pressured the foot after the surgery. The brace looked like an iron latticework, like the skeletal frame of a sewer pipe. The brace would have to be on for up to or even beyond six months and in many ways would be like scaffolding around the leg.
The brace would be attached to the leg via six or more wires or rods that would run directly through my leg for the duration of the healing process. The wires or rods would take any weight from the ankle and foot by transferring it to the metal frame.
I do not refer to the process as "Frankenstein-ish" because of the use of dead peoples’ bones. If I could get dead people’s eyes installed, I would without hesitation and wouldn’t even care if they were the same color as my old ones, or each other. The entire process just seemed too extreme, too much. Not enough potential chance of gain for the amount of risk and discomfort.
When I met with Dr. Grod, I was recovering from the toe infection and a horrific stay at another hospital. I could not see long term residency at a nursing home as a livable option for me, and the risk of infection was a prominent thought. After having a toe abrasion infect and gangrene in under three days, I would have no less than twelve points of metal protruding through my skin for a prolonged period.
If my body were to reject the foreign body parts inserted, they would have to redo the surgery, if replacement cadaver parts were readily available. Without such availability, I would be faced with automatic amputation.
I was never clear what shape my legs would be in compared to each other as cutting off the end of my tibia and doing a bone graft was also part of the process.
This option might have been more favorable if I were a young man who was losing a limb due to a car accident. I carefully considered this procedure before deciding against it. As a diabetic for close to forty years, I have too many other problems and too much risk of developing other problems including too much risk of infection for this risky proposition to seem practical.
I am permanently blind because PRP laser surgery that was supposed to prevent retinapathy caused retinapathy. Should I roll such dice again with the hopes of preventing amputation by doing a "pioneering" procedure that could cause the loss of the limb?
I have taken some big risks in my life, but this limb salvage plan will not number among them.

No comments:

Post a Comment