Friday, June 1, 2012

Be-pazzled

Day Two of "consultation" with Dr. Paz went differently from Day One. That is to say, it went worse.
I will take some responsibility for being in a peevish mood to start. It was convenient for Doctor Paz to do his rounds at breakfast.
The hospital stay with arbitrarily restricted movements made me understand the boredom of house cats, how every part of the day is an event. The doctor visit should have been separate from a meal, particularly breakfast, which didn’t have much chance of still being warm from the trip from the kitchen to begin with. Instead, Paz arrived right after the food and wanted full attention. Getting medical attention–even the bandage changed–had been difficult enough that it did not seem prudent to ask him to come back later. I have no doubt that being considered more important than food feeds his ego.
The man himself immediately overwhelmed any irritation I had about his timing. I started with a reasonable question that should have been answerable after two days: what type of infection did I have?
He answered, "Well, usually infections like this are..." and he used a $12.00 medical jargon word that meant "multiple sources of bacteria."
I made it clear that I did not care what these things usually are and wanted to know what I had. His response was to ask if I "even" knew what his big word meant.
The arrogant display of God Complex pissed me off. I defined his word for him, pointed out that he had not answered my question, and that my only interpretation was that he did not know.
He said that not all tests had been returned but that the blood culture showed that I did not have a widespread blood infection. His answer to "Why couldn’t you just say that?" was to stare blankly.
He also could not adequately answer my questions about the change in my basic insulin regimen from reliance on time release insulin to total use of only instant-acting regular insulin. He started with generalities about the instant only theories of treatment, but had no answer to the question of why he would make such a change in a patient he had never known. I can and would have readily accepted changes in the amount of insulin, but not a switch in basic regimens.
He basically resorted to manipulation by informing me that if I was not happy with him as my doctor, I could request a change. I told him that I was a proactive and involved patient and that if he could not deal with that, he could assign me to someone else.
I made sure he knew that I expected bandage changes on the infected toe. I had been admitted Friday night and this conversation on Sunday morning had no bandage change in between, I made it clear that the nurses adamantly maintained that they could not do a bandage change without specific orders from a doctor and wanted to know how such a basic thing that was the reasdon for my being in the hospital had been overlooked while less important things like my insulin had been changed.
He resorted back to my options if unhappy with his care.
I was out of patience with the manipulation and the God Complex by then. Fully and completely out of patience. I told him that I had not seen any real care from him and that if his godhood could not deal with patients who asked questions, that he needed to transfer me to someone else and explain the shift to his hospital supervisors, but that I knew he couldn’t do that because "you are not a very honest man."
He walked away from me after that. I know from asking nursing-type staff that he was still officially my doctor but I saw or heard nothing from him for the final 24+ hours of my stay at Sturdy.
My fellow inmate complimented my ability to stand up to a doctor who he agreed had been being cagey in answering questions and wished he could be more like that.
I reminded him that there’s always a cost to being like me.

No comments:

Post a Comment