Monday, June 18, 2012

Feedback 3

When recounting my experiences of recent hospitalization, I usually referred to the caregivers as "nurse types." In discussing this, it was pointed out to e that you really can’t tell who is what in a hospital anymore. The days of nurses in specific and distinct uniforms are a thing of a bygone era. Now, everyone that works at the hospital seems to wear scrubs. Employers try to assign job titles to make even the lowest-on-the-pole peons feels important, to the confusion of a public who really doesn’t know just how much training, education or qualifications a "certified" nursing assistant does or does not have. Are these people anything more than an old style after-school candy striper? How do we know that it’s not a janitor changing our IV?
I’ve gotten lazy in one aspect of the blog writing, and feel the need for apologizing for that. I run a spell check, but proofreading is a lot more on my eye and drains a lot, so I tend to skip that for blog posts in a way I never would for anything I would write to send to an editor. "Our" and "out" may be confused. The mechanical spell-checker won’t flag this, and the grammar checker chastises my general style more than it finds actual errors. And I have a hard time seeing the difference so might often miss it anyway. While a spell-checker does not know the difference between public service and pubic service, human readers do. Eye hop ewe cam four give an E weigh this us dis tracking fir ewe.
Anyone who might feel as though I mentioned the misplaced portable urinal bottle too many times should invite me to dinner. You must pick me up and bring me home. I will bring a bottle and set it on the table in front of your other guests and we will see just how much of an issue other people find piss bottles on the eating table. Restaurants have been closed down for far less.
The blog has spread from being a blind man’s bluff to a broader medical things. I am relating subjective experiences. I’m smart enough to have been one with more interest and educational opportunities, but I am not a doctor and do not aim to be giving medical advice. My goal is more important, to share on a consumer awareness level that it is important for patients as the consumers of health care to know what they are getting by questioning their doctors. Diabetes is a profitable niche in the healthcare market. People should do their own research. If three years ago someone had told me "always include ‘side effect’ in any procedure or medicine you Google" I probably would not be so blind today.

No comments:

Post a Comment