Sunday, June 10, 2012

Heparin

Because the staff at Sturdy Memorial Hospital deemed the lame blind guy as a trip and fall hazard to be restricted to the bed, they injected heparin several times a day. This is a sulfur drug intended to prevent blood clots in people kept prone too long, and or have an IV in too long as clots can form at the TV catheter.
One of the nurse types started a conversation on Saturday by remarking that I was not bruising from the heparin at all, even at the stomach injection sites. She explained the heparin in that conversation. I asked if a medication meant to prevent blood clotting could have produced the positive side effect of lower than normal blood pressure. She said it very well could have.
On Sunday, when the bandage from the open and infected foot was finally opened, the previously dry toe abrasion had bled freely for the first time, through a diabetic’s reduced circulation and through the constrictive Charcot foot swelling. I figured the heparin was helping in a number of ways and had no complaints about the side effects.
Side effects of this drug can include fever and chills, which made the whole "cold blanket" debate with the nurses seem pretty sinister on their part, as if they gave a drug with those potential effects to a feverish patient then threatened temperature and anal sensor probing torture for kicks.
The potential side effects of lightheadedness, loss of balance or coordination, sudden weakness and leg numbness seems to make this either the most perfect or absolute worst thing to give someone deemed as a trip and fall hazard.
I am sure that before long, at least some of Sturdy’s staff had been wishing that the side effects of confusion and difficulty speaking or understanding would afflict me. Instead, I stayed sharp minded throughout my imprisonment.
I had no bleeding problems as can be common, including skin discolorations or foreign matter in other bodily fluids. I’m sure some of the staffers were wishing me to bleed due to my constant questions and concerns, which I had no shyness in voicing.
The problem came on the Monday morning when the nursing staff declared they had to draw a lot of blood, not just for the usual rounds of tests but because they had to type me in the event I needed a transfusion. Apparently, my hemoglobin counts and blood volume had fallen. I asked if this was due to the heparin. I thought it was a reasonable question in and of itself, especially considering what the other nurse-type had said two days before. This nurse type became defensive and told me flat out that heparin had no side effects.
I don’t respond well to people who lie to my face. As the next post will relate, that last day at Sturdy started badly and the lying woman just added fuel to the fire of my soul. I not only let her know that I knew she was lying, but questioned if all the blood they had leeched out of me that weekend would have reduced my blood volume, and pointed out that taking "even more than normal" amounts of blood because the blood volume was down is an absolute absurdity.
I was more than she could deal with and she retreated.
Really, in response to my question of the potential heparin connection to the blood volume, she could have said "maybe" or "I’m not sure" and I would have resigned myself to the situation without a confrontation.
Why is it that people who choose to lie react so badly to being called out?

No comments:

Post a Comment