Monday, January 21, 2013

Oil Change

During the January, 2012 retina reattachment of the left eye, the dirty vitreous fluid at the center of the eye was exchanged with silicone oil. Yeah, I guess that amounts to a boob job for the eye. Lucky me, I guess, that no one told me it was too round.
As the vision diminished through 2012, my theory was that the silicone oil got dirty with detritus from the beleaguered eye. Doctor Krzystolik wasn’t too sure, but her reattachment seemed to hold in place and remain healthy looking in and of itself despite increasing vision loss.
This past January 10th, she performed a victrectomy. This seemed less risky than the reattachment as it seemed more basic. Instead of elaborate "welding" on the back of the eye, they would simply be changing the fluid on the inside to a saline solution.
I was surprised to hear the potential risks as Doctor Krzystolik read them off, but these factors did not encourage the slightest hesitancy. I’d gotten too blind to do nothing while any hope remained.
While some doctors do these victrectomy procedures under local anesthesia, I was put under. Maybe Doctor Krzystolik was afraid I’d wake and start giving directions or criticisms. I’d had local-only during the cataract surgery and prefer total unconsciousness and just waking with everything all done.
A bandage and eye shield were set in place. I would be unable to determine any change until the end of the day when eye drops had to be applied.
My range of vision is improved. I can see the knobs and pulls on kitchen cabinetry from across the kitchen. In good lighting, I can see details and if someone is nearby.
But there have been side effects. Complications arose.
I blame Doctor Krzystolik for none of them. I think that on a blog that has been clear with the failures and bad practices of other doctors, I should be clear that Doctor Krzystolik has done very well by me.

No comments:

Post a Comment