Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Blinded on the Right

Wearing the bandage and shield following the victrectomy is a difficult thing. My right eye is blinder than the left and has its own set of complications.
I don’t usually realize how much the right eye can see because I rely on the better left eye.
The right eye suffered a cornea abrasion in 2003, ten years ago this month. Due to an incident with an idiot and a hot, heavy steak fry, I’d previously had a serious cornea abrasion and knew how to take care of it. Unfortunately, I didn’t take care of the 2003 incident long enough. While active and routine risks had passed, the cornea still contained an obstruction, which my eye looked around rather than through. This made the eye pull to the right. Muscles striated and diabetic complications developed. The right retina detached. The eye went dark except for the outside perineal and a pinhole that aligns with neither the left eye nor my brain’s expectation of where it is looking. The reduced vision is further obstructed by a cataract. When she first saw me, Doctor Krzystolik said that I had the most complicated set of eye problems she had treated, and I don’t think she was exaggerating or that I have been surpassed.
The time of reliance on the right eye was thankfully short. It’s been remarked that I have great aim for a blind guy; that was no longer so true when what I see is actually shifted in position from where I see it. I miss when I put things on the counter. (Yes, we’re out of the bathroom now.) I am more likely to walk into doors and the edges of walls when relying on the right eye. Except for the bad aim, my roommate finds it comical, all except for the bad aim. My realization that the tub presents a much larger target alleviated his burden.

No comments:

Post a Comment