Monday, January 28, 2013

Getting Complicated

The post-op complication of the victrectomy was an intense rise of pressure in the eye five days after the procedure, during which the silicone oil placed inside the eye last year was swapped out with saline solution.
Pressure problems in the eye are known as glaucoma, pretty much whatever causes it. I traditionally have and maintain good eye pressure, usually between 14 and 18. Over 25 is a cause for some concern. Following the retina reattachment the pressure rose when my doctor allowed the elimination of drops that regulate pressure. That prior and temporary effect did not cause the agony that the recent spell did.
My roommate was tempted to bring me to the hospital. More cavalier, I took percocet and Nyquil and went to bed. The roommate called Doctor Krzystolik’s answering service after ten. She got back to us with willingness to meet us at her office at midnight. I deferred to 7 AM, and the doctor met us then in her office local to me, without any assisting staff.
I was candid that I had lifted and exerted more than I probably should have. She said that effort probably did not cause the problem. One friend did try assigning blame to Krzystolik, that she may have overfilled the eye. I reject the entire line of thought as desperately seeking to assign blame to a standard risk of the procedure. Unlike when I was afflicted with cataract and PRP treatment by associates at Koch Eye, Dr. Krzystolik has been clear and honest with every risk of every step. This blog shows I am not afraid to assign blame and point fingers when appropriate. I don’t find it appropriate this time.
She relieved the pressure by reducing the fluid in the eye with a needle through the center. My roommate was astounded that I didn’t even flinch. I felt it, but it didn’t come across like you’d think a needle in the eye would. I’ve been told by doctors and others that I have a high pain threshold, so I may not be the best judge.
She repeated the process in an appointment later that afternoon. My roommate didn’t watch so closely that time. Through the reduced pressure and regulating drops, the eye pressure has stayed in its normal range. The needles caused two more of those bubbles or cornea scars, but these have also diminished as time marched on, day by day then week by week.
Her willingness to meet me any and all hours and her subsequent treatment have raised my regard for Dr. Krzystolik. The eye still gives pain, but this is manageable with over-the-counter relievers, I’m limping along with my usual steps and stumbles, which my roommate often finds comical to watch.

No comments:

Post a Comment