Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Interpreting Offers

People see a blind guy, and he’s all limpy and gimpy with problems sometimes more evident than legal but not full blindness. Many people are inclined to offer, and sometimes even provide unsolicited help.
Two guys in one of my bowling league give unsolicited help when my team plays theirs. They’ll see me hesitate at the step down into the well. They will flank me and move me down the step by lifting me by the elbows. The assistance is also followed by a pat on the back and a kind or humorous remark.
That type of help grates against my old self sufficiency standards. I’ve never said this to them. The annoyance is one of my personality quirks. They’re likable guys being altruistic and helpful when they see a needs. I sincerely appreciate the efforts, probably in greater proportion than the annoyance. It’s kind, cute in a way, and humorously entertaining.
I’ve learned to accept things like that. The acceptance took time, and the resistance definitely originated in my personality. I can be surly and abrasive like that, one of my many personality flaws.
But there’s another aspect of my personality flaws that maintains a positive effect. I feel and express appreciation for things done to me. I have a bemused gratitude for each time those two bowlers have lifted me up or down that precarious step. I have a tendency to cultivate too much appreciation for people who do small things with willingness and natural humility. Sincerely and freely given efforts at even small and relatively insignificant things earns somewhat disproportionate appreciation from me. I am one of those people who feels awkward asking for help. When an entire process where the help and getting it is easier than expected and remains dignified, my cynical expectations are surpassed. The best general circumstance I can compare this to for the non-disabled is the retail return of something defective, when you expect resistance from the store but find them friendly and accommodating.
I use the word cynicism with careful intention. My condition can bring out altruism in others, and that is not always sincere. I’ve learned that generally vague offers of any kind of help, especially the offers that begin "If you ever need..." are best avoided. Politically minded people are particularly prone to making empty offers, because they know they sound good publicly when heard making the offer. They are creating a public persona of altruism and express incredible inconvenience and frustration if actually taken up on such offers. It becomes a highly undignified process just to get a ride home from someone who lives a quarter mile away. This is a sharp contrast to people who have gone and are willing to again go miles out of their way to help out.
It’s another of life’s tightropes to walk. My reluctance to accept help has unintentionally offended friends with good intentions and intentionally offended people who only pretended to be friends. I have a tendency to say what’s on my mind, good or bad, with cold, analytical demeanor. I’ve developed a tendency to not test the sincerity of casual offers because sometimes I’d rather not know which people are fair weather friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment