Friday, March 1, 2013

Charcot Revisited

The Charcot "sharko" Foot seems settled and healed. Perhaps I should do another visit with the good foot doctor, Thomas Mancini, before declaring that, bur I say so from observation of my own body.
The biggest "wild card" advantage I had during the Charcot cycle actually came from the retina reattachment. I was dropping prednisone into my eye, which regulated and reduced the swelling.
On the eye doctor’s advice, I ceased the prednisone. I did this with reluctance; when I tried getting off the prednisone in spring of 2012, the Charcot Foot, then erroneously declared "past Phase One according to Doctor Dumbass, flared worse than before.
This time, judging by the lack of a flare up, Phase One was truly over. The leg has not reswelled with discontinuation of the eye drop prednisone.
I had discussed the side effects of the prednisone with my eye doctor on previous occasions. She wrote off the stomach problems as a probable diabetic thing, perhaps bad kidneys. Maybe her opinion changed the morning she treated the post-victrectomy pressure build up. That was a bad morning altogether, even before she stuck a needle in my eye. Perhaps watching me retch acidic bile convinced her that the prednisone was having the stomach acid overproduction. Who knows? Maybe my puking in her trash barrel was the real reason she stuck a needle in my eye.
With the prior massive swelling of the left leg below the knee last fall, my already hindered diabetic circulation was further impaired. This had led to the gangrene infection on the toe, the problem that sent me to Sturdy Hospital in May. That all recovered nicely, without amputation but with a loss of some fleshy tissue from the big toe. More devastating, the swelling reduced circulation to the structure of the foot. I did not particularly stay off the foot, particularly with Dr. Dumbass telling me all was well. During this time, the bones could not get the nutrients they needed. Those nutrients were there; the semi-regular blood tests always show my calcium on the high end of the scale. While swelled, the center bone of the ankle and the inner portion of the hell bone weakened, rolled and collapsed. My right leg shortened about an inch, and it will never be safe for me to put weight directly on that ankle. The crow boot I wear everywhere except to bed and in the shower keeps the weight off and protects the leg with immobilization. I don’t complain about the Crow Boot. Without it, I would rely on crutches, and there’s not as much I could do with my hands otherwise occupied. The immobilization by the Crow Boot has had its own side effect. My calf muscle has diminished, to the point that it is noticeably smaller than the left calf. The Crow Boot is not a temporary cast or brace, but a permanent fixture.
It is what it is. I am accepting about it, even when I freely acknowledge that the combination of bad leg and blind eyes is a particularly difficult combination.
Difficult, but not insurmountable.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment