Monday, February 11, 2013

Impaired Driving

For years, I drove despite one eye total blindness.
I did not drive overmuch. I bought the jeep Wrangler in late 2005 with 115,000 miles and sold it in December 2012 with about 145,000 miles. I was mostly local and worked out of my house and mostly in my own neighborhood. I planned shopping of all sorts for one day per week and generally gassed up to a full tank on that day, need it or not. Less than once a month I would make a strip to New Hampshire or Southern Maine on business for an antique dealer for whom I worked.
I had no accidents. Certainly other will find this post via search engines when their driving is "prohibited" when they develop problems in one eye. Here’s some tips and cautions.
Always remember that everyone assumes you can see them. You must be a defensive driver who anticipates everyone else’s stupidity.
The people in your life will always have reservations, concerns, and opposition to your driving. To get angry about this is to be angry that they care.
Your field of vision is reduced on the side you cannot see out of, so you must compensate for that. My blind eye was on the right. I stopped making left hand turns at uncontrolled intersections, which require a full range of vision. I’d turn right, then make a safe left hand turn and circle the next block. The safety far outweighed the inconvenience. Passengers who objected to the roundabout ways were asked if they would prefer to walk.
I still tended to be a cowboy when I knew the immediate area was free of hazards. This could make people who knew I had eye difficulties very nervous.
Pedestrians will always be a problem, and if you can’t see perfectly, you are extremely likely to miss some spots when washing their blood from your fenders. When driving through parking areas, drive slowly and with the destination building on the side of your good eye. Better yet, drive on the accessway further away from the building. Again, people will always assume you see them.
Park in what are called "sprews." A sprew is a spot that you drive into the bumper-to-bumper adjoining spot and pull through to the next. When you leave, you can pull straight out rather than have to back into the accessway where drivers can carelessly rush you and pedestrians can walk behind you. This means you can’t often park close to the building, but the ease in getting out again was always worth this sacrifice to me.
Don’t resume driving until you’ve had time to get used to the missing depth perception. Depth perception tends to be less important from four to six feet away as your brain will fill in the differences. It will take time to get used to and develop those "automatic translations."
And the basic stuff that applies to all drivers becomes even more crucial. Don’t drive overtired, after any alcohol or on any new meds. Don’t drive with distractions. Need to use the cell phone? Pull over.

No comments:

Post a Comment