Thursday, February 14, 2013

Eating Crow

I mentioned the orthopedic brace that is a permanent fixture, but neglected to ever cover what it was here. It’s called a Crow Boot. Pictures are readily available through any online search. I could post one here, but considering the blind angle, I decided early on that this would be a text site with no pictures.
The Crow Boot has two halves, upper and lower. It’s made of lightweight but highly durable black plastic and is lined with lightweight foam. When fitted for it originally, they took a cast mold of my leg. They have had to add foam as the Charcot swelling on the leg decreased. My foot goes into the lower half. The upper half then interlocks and is held in place with velcro.
The Crow Boot is needed because of the Charcot Foot. As it turned out, prednisone being dropped in my eye post retina reattachment went to work on the swelling of the Charcot Foot. When I had temporarily discontinued the prednisone, the foot swelled back up worse than before. My underlying injury seems to have been tendon damage rather than a broken bone, and the foot thickly swelled up to and even slightly beyond the knee. This swelling reduced circulation already naturally impeded by more than 35 years of diabetes. Oddly enough, as long as I kept exerting and moving I was fine. When I truly stayed off the foot–after last May’s development of a toes infection also triggered by the lack of circulation–the ankle collapsed. The central bone in the ankle, the one on which the tibia’s cupped end sits, and the inner part of the heel bone soften, collapsed and twisted. My right leg is now about a half inch shorter than the left.
The Crow Boot does nothing directly for any aspect of Charcot Foot. It compensates for the structural collapse and weakness that is a permanent disability.
The Crow boot immobilizes the ankle to make sure I cannot do further damage to myself. It also diverts weight from the ankle to the ball of the foot or the upper calf. It has a lifter to compensate for the different leg lengths.
I wear the Crow Boot when not in bed or in the shower. Even to get up in the middle of the night for a leak or a snack, I need to put the Crow Boot on. I’m still living in a place with way too many stairs for a blind guy with a bad leg.
Without the boot, I would need crutches. Times when I do "cheat" and use neither the boot nor the crutches leave me feeling the error for a few days.
I do not complain about the boot. I’d be able to marginally get around on crutches, but all these stairs would be a lot more difficult, and I would not be able to bowl. The Crow Boot is bulky, and on my right foot, so I probably would not be able to drive with it due to pedal spacing, but driving was lost a half year before due to the eyesight. The boot is inflexible at the ankle and sole, so even slight bumps or lumps in a smooth surface can make me feel like I am about to fall over.
When I say I am limping along, I mean that literally. Blind eyes and a bad leg is an especially bad combination.

No comments:

Post a Comment