Friday, April 6, 2012

Getting the Boot

The Charcot foot is now in Stage Two.
Essentially, this means that most of the abnormal swelling is down and that it is in a period where it should, could, or might rehabilitate and restrengthen from reduced use. As no imaging showed any broken bones in my case, I did not keep it as absolutely rested and normally recommended, specifically to keep the leg and foot from completely atrophying on me.
I am aware that my legs, like my eyes, will never be what they were.
The Charcot foot had effects that no doctor warned me about. Maybe some of these things were coincidence in timing, but I am much too paranoid to be a big believer in coincidence.
My blood pressure skyrocketed at the same time the swelling developed. It has receded with the swelling, but not yet back down to prior levels, even with medication.
The prednisone that I have been eye dropping can also raise blood pressure, so that may be a futile battle at this point. My cynical worry is that the Lisinopril will turn what would be a sudden and fatal heart attack into something that will allow me to live with further debilitation.
The atrophy I had sought to prevent happened anyway. The foot and leg is used less during Stage One, and the swelling restricts nutrient flow, which can result in bone and tissue loss. The outcome for me is that the afflicted ankle collapsed. My right leg is now somewhat shorter than my left leg. I feel lopsided orientation when standing or walking. This has already put strain on left leg and has the potential to screw up my back.
Combined with blindness, I’m really disabled now. It’s screwed up my bowling as I tend not to stand straight or square and can’t see that my straight-throw alignment to the pins is off. Talking about this point is probably more leaning to bitchfest rather than informing about Charcot foot, so ‘nuff said.
Dry flaky skin over what was so massively swollen remains. I promise not to pass around another small sheet of dead skin to my bowling partners to show as "something cool" and identifying it only after they’ve been handling it. Maybe with the next larger piece, I will rehydrate it and feed it to the cats.
Like the ill advised PRP treatment that would prevent diabetic retinapathy, the Charcot foot will have permanent effects beyond my mismatched leg lengths. I’ve been prescribed and fitted for a leg brace, what the dumbass foot doctor said would be supportive but what the caster at the orthopedic appliance place said would be largely immobilizing. It’ll take a few weeks to get in; and until then, it’s like the long term prognosis on the reattachment surgery: wait and see, as best as I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment