Tuesday, April 17, 2012

As Seen on TV

A friend told me he had seen an ad or feature on local TV for Koch Eye Associates. Dr. Koch himself appeared with a young female lawyer who had already had twenty-two sessions of PRP (Pan retinal photocoagulation). I had a total of six sessions.
I did not see (or hear) the TV spot myself, but what little I was told about it raises questions I find frightening on one level or another.
The mercenary question: how many rounds of global coverage did the patient pay for?
Did the patient have any visual signs of problems with her eyes before they started firing the lasers? How much of the follow up sessions were necessitated solely by the initial sessions?
Was the patient a self abusive diabetic who brought her medical ills on herself, or did she simply get scared into the claims of a doctor that she would be blind in six months without the surgery? I had been told that line several times in the decades before I got scared into the procedure by the vitreous hemorrhage.
I am aware that elements of my readership and circle of friends think I simply point fingers when it comes to my medical travails. I accept that. The opinions I have formed through experience do tend to buck the system of medical authority. I can go only by my own experience, which includes too much "coincidental" timing of things going wrong after doctors or their drugs tampered with imperfect but stable situations.
The vitreous hemorrhage would have healed with time. My handicap two and a half years later is unrelated to the blood burst. I saw marked decline in my vision immediately after the third PRP laser session. I cannot read or see close up details because Koch Associate Dr Michael Negrey possesses too much of a God Complex to even had told me that different lense options were available. Today, I cannot see far away because of the retinapathy, and I cannot see close up because the artificial lense in my eye is not meant to allow close up vision.
If a patient already had perceptible vision loss, due to retinapathy, I do not advise waiting for the procedure. Experience indicates to me that even retinal reattachment surgery is better done soon than later once the problem escalates.
My warning is for people who might undergo PRP based on a doctor’s say-so, particularly if the doctor uses the scare tactic that you will be blind in six months without his godly intervention.

No comments:

Post a Comment