Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Running Risks

In hindsight (about all I have left) I stand by my decision to hide the impending surgery from almost everyone. The risks in retina reattachment surgery are well beyond the fate of the doctor suddenly needing to sneeze while a knife or laser is in my eye.
Four risks dominated the list of potential problems:
1. Death on the table
2. Physical loss of the eye
3. Going from "visually impaired" to blind in the dark sense most people think of when they think "blind."
4. Infection
The risk of death increased by suddenly elevated blood pressure. My theory is that the Charcot foot increased the BP, but I haven’t found documented support of that. Where I had resisted Lisinopril despite its positive kidney effects because my BP had never been out of the normal range, I started it the week before the surgery. I quickly learned that the started dose wasn’t enough.
The doctor was hesitant to do the surgery, but went ahead with my encouragement. The increased BP also increases bleeding risks.
I woke up from the surgery, so the ultimate risk was past.
The possibility that I would wake up with fewer than two eyes physically in my head also did not happen.
I sweated most over the chance of being fully blinded by the surgery. When I got home and my roommate lifted the patch and shield and bandage to give eye drops, I held my breath. The eye could see light. I had not been rendered dark blind.
The fourth of the big risks is danger of infection. I am on a course of eye drops to prevent that. I am not sure how fully beyond that risk I now stand as the doc extended the prescription of the drops; that had not been necessary following the cataract surgery. I can discern no signs of problems, but I am following the recommendation diligently.
The actual success of the surgery remains to be seen, or not seen as the case my be.

No comments:

Post a Comment