Thursday, December 15, 2011

Snowblind

The first setback on the vision recovery was due to a high blood pressure, low blood sugar moment in November 2010.
The second occurred the first week of February 2011. I was back on the Prozac, which calms the biochemical temper. This time the stress seemed rooted in overexertion. New England had been hit by massive snowstorms six weeks in a row, and that added responsibilities for someone responsible for multiple properties. The plowing and shoveling took a greater toll for an inferior finished hob. {;laces to put the snow had run out. Neighbors’s tempers and frustrations with the winter grew. As a middle aged guy out shoveling, I had been popping aspirin to avoid dying of a heart attack in the snow. I hate the cold.
The exertion and the aspirin probably played together to let the blood flow a little too freely, and while I did not drop into the temper issues, my sugars were surely running at relative lows during that time.
Another floater popped, accompanied by dirty gray tendrils that clouded the vision. This was not a minor floater like a fleck of pepper in my vision, but a big dancing hairy creature. It moved in and out of my vision from above when I moved my eye.
The doctors call this a hemorrhage, but these floater formations are nothing like the original vitreous hemorrhage that had filled my eye with blood.
The new shadow and cloud only added to the ongoing problems when the last floater pop had mostly subsided. It had happened while I was plowing the last property after the storm. I struggled to drive the eight blocks home. I knew from the incident the prior November that I would not be able to drive again for several weeks or longer, and future shoveling would be impossible as I had a hard enough time seeing well enough to get myself around the house.
Despair set in. U continued to bowl as normal with stalwart partners providing the transportation, but that was about all I could do.
Eventually the floater dissolved into general obstructing haze. The snowstorms stopped with that one, so I never did have the crisis of how to uphold my responsibilities to the tenants and the homeowners.
Aren’t I lucky?

No comments:

Post a Comment