Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Rising Pressure

The elevated blood pressure was a major concern regarding the retina reattachment surgery. The doctor would have preferred to postpone the surgery entirely and was concerned afterwards about excess bleeding.
I chose to push ahead. I had been mentally preparing for the all-or-nothing surgery for more than a month in a time that was seeing so many other problems erupt in life. My vision had been deteriorating rapidly. I have a tendency to push ahead once my mind is made up. As much as most other people see me as decisive and stubborn, I actually second guess myself a lot and overthink most things. The blood pressure could have been a convenient excuse to delay or cancel the potentially devastating surgery. Once I make ne excuse, sometimes keep them coming. Overcompensating for that makes me stubborn sometimes.
Up until October of 2011, my BP tended to run on the higher end of normal. It did not peak above 145/90 and was often lower. The last test in October saw 137/78, not bad at all.
The next time it was taken, in December, it had spiked dramatically: 212/123. The assistant at the sports medicine place had taken t when I was there to have the Charcot foot treated. That was the same morning that another pool of floaters had let go in the eye while I was in the waiting room. I figured anyone’s BP would be high under the circumstances. I meant to follow up with a drug store freebie test but never did. I learned it had stayed elevated during pre-op tests the week before the surgery. The starter dose of Lisinopril did little for it.
Labwork shows my sodium in its usual low level; I really do tend to eat right. There’s been increased stress from most fronts lately, but my theory is that the Charcot foot itself is behind the sudden BP rise. The foot has been swollen and sunken, and flow to the foot is impaired.
Time will tell, and in the meantime I am taking a high dose of a drug I have traditionally avoided because it’s one of those things that can be dangerous to stop.

No comments:

Post a Comment