Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Dropping the (Eye)ball

The surgeon/doc who performed the retina reattachment and vitreous exchange prescribed four medications via eye drop.
The first was an antibiotic that she discontinued after a week. Knowing I no longer needed it quelled the imaginings of maladies in the eye, such as some alien pillar of disgust growing out of my eye or a more realistic fear that if something happened behind the eye that the eye might have to be removed.
I know longer have enough reading vision even with glasses to know what most of the other three are by name. I know them by what they do.
The first dilates the pupil. The pupil can stiffen and work less ably following reattachment, so this helps keep it nimble, so to speak. It has the side effect of increasing glare and over exposing things. I am not sure how standard this is as I had documented pupil function issues prior to the reattachment surgery.
Glaucoma numbers among the risks of retina attachment surgery. The second drop keeps the eye pressure down. This drop was not doing the job for me, so the doctor prescribed an additional job to do the same thing. My eye pressure had not reached the danger zone of over 30, but post op was not at my usual good range of 14-18 either.
The third drop is prednisone. This is the first medication that I can ever remember having adverse reaction to. I should say adverse reactions. I’m in stomach acid overload, suffer frequent vertigo and generalized weakness, further insomnia and fatigue, and am having nervous symptoms including worse mood changes and tics that have been driving many of the people around me nuts, even more than normal. Prednisone can also increase eye and blood pressure, so I am needing medication for my medication.
But I continue to take it with the hoped of long term recovery.
The course of drops also diminishes my vision when applied, so I am really hoping the long term gains pan out.
In the meantime, I can only hope most people can’t quite differentiate my increased mood changes and tics from the old oddities.

No comments:

Post a Comment