Sunday, January 8, 2012

What's in a Name?

Misnomers are the misnaming of things. Often, according to my using definition, it is a name or label that is close but not quite accurate.
I’ll start with my own misnomer itsy, from tha tag cloud on this blog’s internal links. I use the ter, "medical malpractice in a general sense, not as a legal definition. There’s just wrongness in not giving patients all the necessary information to make informed decisions, including risk factors. When I label a post "medical malpractice," I am not prepping for a lawsuit but am indicating a misuse of power or authority that doctors usually hold over patients. My using definition includes doctors who do not report potential side effects back to the pharmaceutical companies that send thedocs on vacations, or the government agencies that are supposed to regulate them. I doubt any doctor would ever get sued for that.
I don’t quite get the PRP laser name either. The "panretinal" raises no flags for me. "Photocoagulation" does. The photo part is OK in general terms, but I can’t grasp the "coagulation" part.
To coagulate is to thicken or to clot, which is not necessarily the problem in diabetic retinapathy. The blood does thicken with increased sugar content, but the exact nature of the problem is the formation of new, weaker cells on the retina that have higher risk of bursting because they are newer and weaker.
Doctors call the bleeding stage "proliferative" while "nonproliferative" is the growing stage for new vessels. To my cynical mindset, the medical profession has the terms reversed solely to confuse the patient. The proliferation of nuclear weapons is while more are being made and spread across the world, not the stage where they are being used to wipe land and people off the globe.
The next misnomer is a universal term that angers me every time I hear it: "Obama Care." My objection is not a political one to any side pro or con. My issue is with the media that dubbed the program this and has maintained it.
Medical care is when you go to a doctor or hospital when you are sick. This "care" plan does not even come close to providing that. The proper term is Obama Coverage. The "care" is for insurance by the same companies who want to deny claims and limit care if it is deemed too expensive. Why has no one caught on to that fact? If you get sick and hospitalized in a country with universal health care, you get treatment, not a percentage of bills paid while others are disputed and stuck to you.
The more Obama "Care" is discussed, the more we hear the term. The more we hear the term, the more we forget how inaccurate it is, which is the final objective of this intentional media lie.
We wouldn’t want commercial media advertisers to go out of business, would we?.

No comments:

Post a Comment