Saturday, July 6, 2013

Feelings of Abandonment

I have not abandoned this blog, despite the lack of a new post since April. (Forthcoming case in point, no sooner did I write that one line on June 4th when I was distracted away and unable to get back.)
Now it’s July 6th and I believe I can finish a hasty missive.
2013 has left me with an overwhelming sense of loss. On top of reduced capabilities and an attrition of friends, over the time since the eye problems began, I started the year with poor feelings for having sold my car. I can accept the inability to drive more than no longer owning a vehicle.
As the year progressed, I had an eye procedure that brought complication and less result than anyone had hoped. My father passed away, I noticed that the Crow boot-bound leg is losing muscle mass and even routine things took more effort. Even further reduced exertion was more than I found I could handle. I’ve had to give up more, especially when "over" exertion inflamed the tendon in my leg, which re-triggered the Charcot Foot inflammation and ended up ulcerating the ankle. The hole was larger than a silver dollar. More than three months later, it’s about the size of a penny or nickel.
I suffered the worsened by moving prized possessions to a venue for their sale. Despite the pride in ownership, this stuff is heavy and bulky and useless to a blind guy. Removal became critical because the fact that my apartment–in a house I own–is no longer livable for me, even before the reduced eyesight and worsened leg. There’s 34 steps between the street and my apartment; 48 between the street and my bedroom. It’s hard enough getting in the house empty handed. Groceries are outright burdensome.
The eyesight, particularly effects of and adjustment to changes in light, is worse. This limits everything, including functional computer time. Work on fiction projects has stagnated as much as the blog while I try to close out responsibilities and roll with the changes.
Things are looking less bleak. My guardian angels may be masochists, but they are on the job!

No comments:

Post a Comment