Monday, May 21, 2012

Sturdy as it Goes

I’m planning in shorter posts that deal with the many elements of my sta at Sturdy Hospital. This seems unfair in a way, but the stresses of the increased Charcot foot problems and the infection have stressed me enough that my eyesight has seemed further diminished. It’s easier on me this way.
I ended up at Sturdy because the retina reattachment was done there. The hospital has a good reputation for trauma care and I saw nothing that contradicts that in the OR or the ER.
The actual hospital care, however, warrants public warnings. Maybe that II was there over a weekend left me with exposure to poorer conditions than would be normal during the regular workweek.
My combination of blindness and foot problems got me labeled as a trip and fall hazard, so I was restricted for the duration. I was allowed away from the bed only with assistance and only when I had to take a dump.
I had to pee in a "portable urinal," the hospital’s name for a wide mouth bottle.
I do not see well enough to know if the roommate in the hospital room kept the curtain between our beds drawn, He had a lot of company an they always sounded nearby and unbuffered. Luckily for me, I’m not the type to worry about such niceties.
I had two issues with the urinal, and both set me in a negative light to the entire stay.
First, only one nurse or assistant rinsed the bottle over the entire 3 ½ day stay, and that was only on one occasion. I asked about this and the nurse asked how I know that if I was blind. I had to point out that I could still hear them empty out, flush, and not rinse..
Even worse, the nurses kept returning the unwashed bottle to the tray table I was expected to eat off of. They did this for the last time on the third morning there, which had also been my last day there. I yelled to the nurse about what she had done with the admonishment appropriate to any moronic three-year-old, "WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU?"

No comments:

Post a Comment